Traditional Trifle Recipe is a wonderfully indulgent dessert. Sweet, creamy, with the added textures of fruit and sponge, with an ideal finish to a meal. And if you want a little extra zing in your trifles happily invite a dash of sherry or a liqueur Traditional Trifle Recipe.
The Traditional Trifle Recipe below is for a traditional trifle.
- A packet of trifle sponges or a cut into strips of about 3 cm thick, 3 cm wide and of a length to fit the bowl you are using. If you use sponge cake try to find one with a dense consistency to hold better and give a more pleasing texture when soaked in jelly.
- 1 packet of strawberry jelly.
- Fruit – traditional choices are peach slices and fresh strawberries/ raspberries.
- 500 ml custard.
- 250 ml cream.
- 250 ml sherry.
- Almond slivers.
- Grated chocolate.
- Make up your custard according to the instructions and allow it to cool.
- Make up the jelly and allow it to cool so that it is just state in one position to set.
- Place a layer of trifle sponges/sponge-cake strips so as to cover the base of glass bowl.
- If you are using sherry in your trifle tip half of it over the sponge.
- Place a layer of fruit on top of the sponge.
- Pour your jelly(semi-liquid) into the bowl so as to soak the sponge and just submerges the fruit.
- Place the bowl in the fridge until the jelly has set.
- Remove from the fridge and add a layer of custard about 3 cm deep. Repeat the step3-8(in case of large bowl) to
- Whip the cream until it’s stiff and spreads evenly over the top of your trifle.
- Decorate with almond and grated chocolate.